Being an empath is a powerful gift that brings compassion and connection to humanity. Yet, when not managed properly, excess emotions can be absorbed, leaving empaths drained and disconnected from themselves. They must learn to say “no” and establish self-care routines. If you have empathic skills its best to understand your style of empathy so you can work with your gift rather than being ruled by it.
Types of empaths:
- Emotional empath: This common empath types is easily noticed since they absorb the emotions of others. If someone around them is sad or anger they may soon assume that emotion themselves. In particular, they are especially susceptible to narcissists and energy vampires and can easily be exhausted by such people. A helpful mantra to recite is “Return to owner,” which will purge the energy from your body and return it to the source without damaging either of you.
- Physical empath: This empath navigates physical symptoms from others and absorbs them within their body. They must be mindful to not become martyrs and assume someone else’s pain. In addition to feeling another’s pain, this empath type may see where someone is experiencing a symptom. Use intentional breathing to breathe out the symptoms from your body and breathe in fresh, clean energy, until the symptom is fully released.
- Intuitive empath: Also referred to as claircognizance, this empath has acute intuition and may notice another’s feelings, thinking, or negative energy. It is important to learning psychic shielding to safeguard from negative vibrations like encasing your spiritual self in white, purple, or pink light that will protect you from negativity, but facilitate positive energy to enter.
- Plant empath: Being so attune to the needs of plants, these empaths are skilled gardeners or landscapes and thrive being surrounded by flowers and greenery. Thankfully, this empath type doesn’t absorb much negativity and seeks frequent intentional connections to plants of all types.
- Animal empath: These empaths have a near telepathic connection with all animals and instinctively knows their needs and wants. This type has a pull towards working with animals, especially in their direct care. They want to be around animals as much as possible and would benefit from volunteering with a local shelter, birdwatching, or even learning how to practice animal reiki.
- Earth empath: This empath type has such a profound connection to the Earth as a whole and can be drastically affected by natural disasters, weather, or seeing environmental devastation. It is important the Earth empath partake in healing while surrounded by nature like meditating under tree, performing beach clean-ups, or prioritizing time outside. Every day they should find time to honor nature.
Recognizing your empath type
Notice which of the above traits stands out most to you. Realize the types aren’t mutually exclusive and people are commonly blend empath types. As you hone your gift, the easier it will be to notice your proclivities and receive more accurate reads. By maintaining connection to yourself and recognizing what is and is not your own sensations you will learn when its time to recharge. By learning your empath style you will foster healthier and more rewarding relationships while staying grounded so you can utilizing your talents more effectively.