What’s the worst thing somebody can say on a first date? How bad can a date be? Everyone has been on at least one horrible first date. Let this sampling of things serve as a cautionary tale. They are all 100% real. Here are 20 common, yet inappropriate things often uttered on a first date. Don’t say any of these statements, unless you want to ruin your chances of a second date.
1. “I don’t normally go out with someone like you.” You may mean this as a compliment, but your date won’t take it that way. Are you saying you usually date trashy people? Are you saying you’re slumming it by taking them out?
2. “I have a roommate, but we’re not going out or anything.” Some dates will give you the benefit of the doubt, but others will assume you’re sleeping with your roommate because you told them you aren’t.
3. “Go ahead and order what you want. I can afford it.” It’s nice that you can afford to treat you date to a meal, but how much do you actually think a first date meal should cost? Do you think your date eats a lot? You kind of just said you do.
5. “You don’t look like your picture.” This is not a compliment, so don’t say it. You were attracted to the person in the picture, but if the person in front of you doesn’t look like their picture, it suggests you don’t find them as attractive or you feel like they’ve deceived you.
6. “What was your name again?” Please, please know the name of the person you’re going out with. And if you can’t pronounce it, ask them to pronounce it for you.
7. “Why do you think you’re still on the market?” You’re basically asking your date to tell you what’s wrong with them. You want them to psychoanalyze themselves. This is a date, not a therapy session.
8. “I’m thinking about moving soon.” Oh great, so you aren’t looking for a long-term relationship. Are you looking for a long-distance relationship with someone you barely know? Yeah, ’cause that’s going to work.
9. “My mother would love you.” That’s great to know, but not something your date needs to hear on your first date. You’re making it sound like you aren’t adult enough to run your love life and you need mommy’s approval. That’s not attractive.
10. “I’m a jack of all trades.” When your date asks you about what you do for a living, and this is your reply, they know you’re a master of nothing. You have no real job skills and you have an unstable financial situation. You don’t sound mysterious.
11. “What are you looking for in a relationship?” This is a first date and it’s supposed to be light and fun. Don’t talk about commitment or marriage. Just get to know each other and see where things go.
12. “How many relationships have you been in?” When you ask this question on a first date, it means you really want to know how many people they’ve slept with.
13. “I don’t know.” You can’t get out of answering a question with this three-word response. It makes you look non-committal and it’s taking the easy way out.
14. “I’m getting a divorce.” First date conversation should not revolve around your divorce. If it does, it means you’re clearly not over your ex and probably shouldn’t be on a date. You’ve got relationship baggage and you’re damaged goods. Don’t dump all this on someone new. Fix yourself before you start dating again.
15. “What’s your favorite sex position?” You’re not relationship material. You barely know this person and you’re already talking about sex. Who says they even want to sleep with you? Well, they probably don’t want to now. Take things slower.
16. “My ex….” Don’t go there. Like the divorce talk, talking about an ex on a first date suggests you’re not over them and that you’re looking to bring that relationship baggage into your next relationship.
17. “Have you had any work done?” That’s rude and it’s none of your business. Just don’t ask.
18. “I hate my family.” You may have a good reason to hate them, but this kind of negativity is a turnoff. Keep this sentiment to yourself.
19. “I’m picky.” Great, you’re hard to please. Who doesn’t want to spend the rest of their life caring for a high-maintenance person?
20. “Do you think you’ll want to see me again?” You should be able to tell if someone is interested in you or not. And if you avoid most, if not all of these first date blunders, they will!